READ:REDUCING SOCIAL EXCLUSION THROUGH A CREATIVE APPROACH TO READING.
Youth illiteracy is still rife in many countries around the world. According to statistics, globally, 124
million children and young adolescents are not in school or they drop out before completing the full
course of basic education. Therefore the READ project and its partners share the mission to enhance the
participation of youth and disadvantaged learners to society, promoting inclusive education and
equality. This project is fully committed to constantly explore new youth work approaches and
methodologies. The project draws its origin from the long engagement for the empowerment of young
people through non-formal learning.
AIMS OF READ PROJECT
The aim of READ project is to promote reading to young people in an integrated and creative manner.
Through local and mobility activities, the project addresses the problem of illiteracy, the risk of school
dropout & the lack of interest that young people have towards reading. Targeting those marginalized
youngsters, READ will stimulate the interest in reading as a way to open up the imagination, using nonformal
methodologies, offering cultural & creative activities.
OBJECTIVES OF READ PROJECT.
- Promoting and improving the quality of youth work to engage with young people in learning by supporting the development of creative-reading environments to fight against illiteracy and risk of early school leaving.
- Enhancing the continuing socio-professional development of youth workers thanks to a mix of local activities, international non-formal learning mobility (TC and job shadowing) and exchange between organizations from Programme and Partner countries.
- Improving the achievement of key competences of young people at risk of social exclusion, poverty and marginalization.
- Promoting open and innovative education, training and youth work thanks to the creation of an OER which will include the learning/training and creative materials developed thanks to projects activities and suggestions.
- Boosting the networking and promote cooperation among youth organizations from Programme and Partner countries discovering and sharing good practices in the field of non-formal education, literacy and arts.